Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Fat Tuesday

I spent 12+ years in Catholic schools (yes I had to wear a uniform...no I will not show you pictures), which means that I (to this day) have no clue what Fat Tuesday is for...
Now tomorrow I'll go and have a cross put on my forehead with ashes from the palms of last years Palm Sunday...but Fat Tuesday? The only thing I know about it is that (it's Tuesday and I'm fat) in New Orleans it's a big deal...and king cake is yummy.
We were just there last Nov. and all I can say is that I will never, never, NEVER visit again and definitely not during Mardi Gras. A regular weekend was bad enough!

Anyways, tomorrow starts Lent. The 40 days until Easter, in which Christians use for fasting and reflection. Also no meat on Fridays, which means bring on the fish! I love fish.

Now I haven't been the best church goer, but I'm still a Christian, so I will be donning the ashes and giving something up (fasting).

As a child we always gave up something like chocolate or soda, and as a child that was hard.
As an adult I want to challenge myself even more, something that in the long run will make me a better person.

I have until tomorrow morning to decide, but I have some ideas.

1. go to the gym 3days a week (there's a free gym at my school)
2. get up everyday at 6am...even on days off.
3. make amends with old friends.
4. STOP PROCRASTINATING! (I'm thinking a daily schedule would help with this!)
5. cut down to only one cup of coffee a day.
6. find a new church.

I think I'm going to do all 6. I know it's a lot, but I'm a big girl, I can do it.


It's a proven fact that you can break any bad habit in 40 days. So why not use lent to give up something that isn't so good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice. be kind. be loving.
please.